Applying to the Ph.D. or Masters Programs
The 2017-2018 deadline for applications for either the Masters or Ph.D. programs must be completed and submitted through the UCSC online application system–including submission of recommendation letters–by January 5, 2017. Applicants are notified of decisions made by the Graduate Admissions Committee by approximately mid-April. Application instructions and requirements may be found on the Division of Graduate Studies website here.
In addition to the specific requirements listed on the Ocean Sciences Masters and PhD web pages, the Graduate Admissions Committee will evaluate the qualifications of prospective students using the following criteria:
- Prior academic performance (including grade point average and the nature of the undergraduate academic program and/or Masters or other degree),
- An evaluation of three letters of recommendation in support of the applicant,
- The Graduate Record Examination scores (verbal, quantitative, and analytical.) While not required, taking the subject test in a major discipline is recommended,
- Related research experience,
- Statement of purpose, and
- Availability of suitable sponsor. Please contact one of the Ocean Sciences Core or Affiliated Faculty in your area of interest prior to applying.
For application process questions, please contact Graduate Admissions (email@example.com, 831-459-5905).
Questions about the Ocean Sciences Graduate program may be sent to the Graduate Program Coordinator at:Department of Ocean Sciences Room A-312 Earth & Marine Sciences Building University of California, Santa Cruz Santa Cruz, CA 95064 (831) 459-4730 Email